Saturday, March 8, 2008

Feeling that Civic Pride..

It's time for my biannual rant against Daylight Saving Time. Whoever proposed that we switch our clocks twice a year certainly did not have to deal with the schedules of young children. Rather than feel completely powerless about this matter, I have, in the past several years, taken advantage of the convenience of writing my congresspeople online (here, here, and here). Feel free to join me in my crusade. Here's this year's rant, prompted by a well-thought-out opinion in the New York Times:

Dear ...
I and my family are strongly opposed to the practice of switching between Standard Time and Daylight Saving Time. Please, if this issue should come up for consideration, do not vote in favor of continuing the practice.
Recent studies have shown that switching to Daylight Saving Time in the summer does not result in a savings of electricity. It does, however, result in a measurable increase in the number of morning automobile accidents; it wreaks havoc on the schedules of parents of young children, whose bodies do not operate according to a clock but rather to daylight; and it causes considerable confusion to those who work with dates and time in computer programming. I am personally affected by all three of these consequences and would appreciate a repeal of the practice of switching to and from Daylight Saving Time as soon as possible. If there happen to be legitimate energy savings associated with use of Daylight Saving Time, perhaps we should consider a permanent institution of the summer schedule.
yours truly for the Diller Family (two adults and three young children),
Timothy Diller


In other news, I was inspired by the story of Master Sergeant Woodrow Wilson Keeble, who was posthumously awarded a Medal of Honor in a correction of injustice that makes the heart glow with simultaneous pride and anger. President Bush made the presentation and told his story as only he can. If I were President, that would definitely be one of my favorite parts of the job.

No comments: