Saturday, January 24, 2009

Stripping the Frame

As I said I would, I started to take apart my Crosstown 7 in preparation for replacing my broken frame. So far, this job has been about what I expected, with no surprises. I started by removing the bike rack, seat post clamp, and rear fender, which all came apart as an assembly. Then I removed the brakes.

Then I removed the front brakes and unhooked the shifter cable, which allowed me to remove the handlebar, with everything still attached. At this point, my neighbor Emily saw me over the fence and offered me the use of her husband Jeff's work stand. I accepted, and boy what a difference that made. That enabled me to remove the kickstand and take off the cranks. Fortunately, I had a crank extraction tool from a previous project. Without a crank extractor, that task is near impossible and guaranteed to mess up your bike.


One interesting thing to note here is that when you add grease to the crank, it eventually comes out through the bearing on the right side near the crank arm seal, which makes it kind of messy since this spot is tough to clean with a rag with the crank arm still installed. In the photo below you see a year and a half worth of grease accumulation. The color of this grease when clean is light brown, almost white. A couple of times I had added shots of the green marine grease that I use for my water-brake dynamometer at school. I plan to open this up and clean it out thoroughly and re-grease with the white teflon grease supplied by Dynamic.


In a way I'm glad for the opportunity to get inside my bike and see how it all goes together, although this process is time consuming and no so convenient. I'll take the challenge to learn a little about bike repair rather than complain. Here's how I left things when it got too cold and dark to keep going tonight. (My workspace is the back patio. I miss my garage workshop.)

No comments: